Friday, November 30, 2012

Salmon Cakes

I am the biggest fan of crab cakes, so when I saw a packet of wild salmon in my pantry this idea instantly clicked. I make it almost the same way as I do my crab cakes, except this time I was in Grenada, with not many of my ingredients available. I got creative with what I had, and the result was scrumptious!

Note: Panko breadcrumbs work well in this recipe, but I think my toast idea made it even more delicious!


Ingredients:

     5 oz of skinless, boneless, cooked salmon (I used a packet of the Chicken of the Sea 
            Premium Wild-Caught Pink Salmon)
     1/4 red bell pepper, chopped into small pieces
     2 chopped scallions
     1 tsp parsley
     1/2 tsp fresh minced ginger
     1/2 tbsp mayonnaise
     1 small egg, lightly beaten
     1/4 tsp paprika
     2 slices of white toast, left out for a few minutes to dry
     Salt to taste
     2 tbsp oil for frying
     1 lime or lemon
Flake the salmon and add to a mixing bowl. Add the peppers, scallion, parsley, ginger, egg, paprika, and salt. Finely crumble one of the slices of toast into the mixture, and mix well. 

Heat the oil on medium heat in a shallow frying pan. In a separate plate, crumble the other slice of toast finely. Take a spoon and gather some of the salmon mixture. Form a ball with it in your hands and then press lightly onto the breadcrumbs. Turn the salmon cake over to get the other side covered, and then add the cake to the hot pan. Cook about 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove and place onto a paper towel-lined plate. Squeeze some lime or lemon over it and serve immediately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment